Monday, December 8, 2008

I have QUESTIONS for you!

There are two things that I want to know about all of you. The first one is in regards to Mommy moments AKA: embarrassing moments. I frequently share about the flighty things that I do, you know the ones where  you temporarily lost your mind and  you can't seem to figure out why in the world you did that. OR the really embarrassing ones that you vowed to never tell the world!! Well those are the things I want to come. So please leave me a comment or write a story on your blog about a funny that you did and then come back and leave the link in your post.

The second thing is in the spirit of Christmas. I love traditions. Hubby and I have had discussions about what kind of traditions we want to have as a family for Christmas. So I would love to know what some of your traditions are. Either ones that you do now or what were some that your parents did with you. I really want to hear about holiday traditions but you can also share regular family traditions that you do.

Our tradition so far is to share Christmas morning together as a family. I like to make a nice breakfast. That's about it. I would like to add to it, because right now it's a little sad. We had the idea that we would like to go to a live nativity every year but we haven't been able to find one that is within a reasonable driving distance. We are thinking 20 minutes or less. 
We also started the tradition of going to the apple orchard every fall as a family. We have done that the last two years and we look forward to many many years of this! I hope you will all participate and I can't wait to hear about your funny moments and learn about your traditions!

6 comments:

Someone Being Me said...

I have all kinds of flighty mommy moments so don't feel bad. I'll have to think of some specific examples. As for Christmas traditions I love the tradition of buying everyone new pjs to open Christmas eve night to wear for the next morning. We also used to go to a candle light Christmas eve at midnight every year but now we have to go to an earlier service. I love Christmas eve service, it always reminds me of the reason for the season. We do the big breakfast thing too.

Miss said...

this is something we are still working on ourselves. But, every year we spend the weekend after thangksgiving decorating the tree and the house. We have hot chocolate, listen to christmas music, etc. We also take the kids shopping and let them pick out an ornament for the tree (that they will then get to keep when they move out)
not too exciting, but its developing! =)

Oh, something we did as a child and now we do with our kids is drive around and look at Christmas lights! =)

Female Trucker said...

We use to go to candlelight mass at midnight on Christmas eve which I loved! Then when I was in Florida it changed to me getting tickets for the live nativity show at the baptist church, which I loved even more!! It really was called the living Christmas tree, it was so awesome, and Baptist church all over america have started one. I also was one who loved buying new PJ's for everyone to open on Christmas eve and be able to wear that night. I also had an open house every Christmas eve, which I loved, Dave and Sally have been doing it for a while now. Dave said I could take it over if i were in the mountains. lol. I love telling the Christmas story, and what Christmas is really about, and that it is not about giving just that day but all year long. Like you and I did for the homeless man, remember? Have always taken a ride to view the Christmas lights, would take hot chocolate and snacks with us, Gerald and I continued this taking my Mom every year when we lived in Mountain Home, she loved it! It was always fun. Now I would like doing that even more with my camera, lol. I also like coming up with something special something unique, and I love making gifts, at least one made gift for everyone. I love decorating the whole house for Christmas even the guest bathroom, I actually do have more Christmas decorations in storage than any other kind.lol. Hope they will be great to hand down to my girls. if i think of any thing else i will let you know.

Female Trucker said...

Oh I forgot love watching Christmas movies, especially on Christmas night or eve. Depends on whats going on. Christmas music is a must, always. When you were little and you were real little playing Santa was big for me. When I was little our tradition was we would all go to Grandmas for Christmas eve, all the family would be there. Then Christmas day was spent at home with mom and dad, because Santa came. Dad would always tell us the story about when he was little and he actually saw Santa. He was very poor, and he really believes he saw Santa! Christmas was one of the happiest times we had as a child, Dad was always pretty darn good during Christmas, even with having to go to grandma's on Christmas eve. Oh and we always went out for pizza on Christmas eve on the way to grandmas, even though she always had cold cuts and stuff for us. lol.

Susan said...

Hi Jen! We are just starting to add to our own traditions. This year we decorated for Christmas on black Friday, (in lieu of shopping - gasp!) ;) I also bought a nice wooden advent calendar for the kiddos. It has little doors to open along the bottom of it, and the top looks like a stable. The pieces are magnets that the kids can place on the stable backing... it's really quite nifty!
I like to put on Christmas music in the evenings, especially before bed... hmm, what else? Oh, we go through the MBC Live Nativity drive-thru (but we live so close!) And this year we have Zack. LOL! You can read about him on my blog. He is quite the sneaky little fella.
If you are looking for some more ideas, there are TONS at the Bring the Rain website, you can link there from my blog. Angie (blog owner) had asked for people to comment on their traditions and WOW, she got hundreds of responses. Let me know if you can't find the specific post and are interested. :)
I think one that we will adopt from that list is to all sleep in the living room on the floor, as a family one night just before Christmas, with the Christmas tree lights on! I love that idea! :)
Um... the embarrassing mom moments... hm. I'll have to think about that one. :)
Hugs!
Susan

Susan said...

Ok, I'm a dunce. We also go to Christmas Eve service at church! :)How could I have left that out?!?!