Monday, June 1, 2009

The light at the end of the tunnel..

I have put a lot of thought into what I want to say about this post and to be honest I still feel like I don't know how to put my feelings into words. Saturday May 31, 2009 Donny graduated with a Master of Arts in Theological Studies. To say that I am proud of him is an understatement. I was bursting with pride last Saturday as he walked across the stage to get his degree. I can't begin to imagine what next year will be like when he gets his Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy. Then he will be done. It's amazing that we have been on this journey for four years and are finally approaching the light at the end of the tunnel. I have seen my husband fight for this opportunity in many ways. He received a lot of criticism when we sold our house for him to go to school. He had to fight to get into the MFT program, and he has had to fight for the right to graduate. I have never seen him work harder or sacrifice so much to earn these degrees. He originally went into the MATS program with an understanding that it could help him to get into the MFT program. It's a very hard program to get into. After being in the program for about a half year or close to the end of his first year he was told that he just has to reapply for the MFT program and that MATS had nothing to do with getting into the  MFT program. So here he was pursuing a degree without any real purpose. However, once you put a year into a Masters degree you might as well finish it. As graduation approached this year Don informed me that he didn't want to walk. He felt that because it wasn't the degree that he intended it wasn't a big deal. I remember being sad about this. I feel like he worked hard and had earned the right to walk. When he told me that he decided to participate in graduation I was pretty excited but didn't want to make a big deal about it. He didn't even tell people he was graduating, NOT EVEN his own mother. :) BUT I told her. Together on Saturday his mom and I went and watched the ceremony. It was really cool because I saw a change in him. When he walked across the stage he was smiling. I really felt that God used the ceremony, this celebration to show him that he had earned it. It didn't matter if it was the degree that he set out for, he worked hard for it. Also this was a stepping stone to the MFT. Going to the graduation on Saturday gave him a glimmer of what it's going to be like next year as he accepts his degree in the MFT program. I feel like God used this particular ceremony to give him something to look forward to next year, to inspire him to keep working hard and to encourage him to not give up. My heart broke for him this year as I saw that he could possibly quit. He was criticized and judged. He felt so discouraged and beat down. He almost gave up. Now when I think about it, I can't even believe it. The reality that there is only a  year left when he has been in school for the last four years seems like nothing. To almost have had him quit when he is so close to the end seems crazy to me. However, God really used the right people to encourage him. He didn't give up, and that is part of the fight that I saw. So again, to say I am proud is an understatement. Watching him go through this life accomplishment, to see him persevere makes me love him more. I can't wait to celebrate again next year, to see him walk across the stage and get his degree in the MFT program. Which has been his dream and we feel God's plan for his life. I hope that you all enjoy the pictures. Please note the big smile on his face!! I love it.... 



I love this picture. 
Showing off his fancy duds!! 
Donny and his friends celebrating! I love how Don just 
jumps straight up and keeps his arms straight. I think he needs to let loose a little!! ;) 



WOOT WOOT!!!! WAY TO GO BABY!!! I LOVE YOU.

2 comments:

Charlene Aycock said...

Congratulations to a wonderful Son!!! WTG DON!!! Jen, beautiful captures of a wonderful time in his life.

Sassyfrazz said...

What a great post, Jennifer! Way to go Don, you deserve that diploma! You are a hard worker/student! Hard to do, and you did it!