So I want to continue more on the line of food. I think that this is where we probably spend a lot of extra money. So let's talk about generic products. I used to buy Campbell Chunky soups. I am not saying anything wrong with Campbells, I bought them for a reason. However, it's not real cheap for a can of soup. I started buying the Target brand market pantry and I saved over $1.00 a can. That's a big difference. I think with generic brands you need to be willing to take a little chance. Some generic brands are fine, but certain things generic don't taste good no matter how you spin it. For example, CHEERIOS!!! YUM... the generic just doesn't cut it, so we buy it in bulk and it's actually equivalent. Also if you don't have the option for bulk there are always coupons for cereal.
Another topic and some people might have an opinion on this but you can take it or leave it. Most communities have food shelves or something similar. If the local community has a food shelf and there are no income requirements it's eligible for anyone to use. I think often we don't think that we should be using these options or that we don't qualify but they are there to assist anyone in the community. There is a food shelf in our area that my sister helped me find. The shelf buys the food at such a cheap rate because it's in bulk so they are able to sell it very inexpensively. In return they ask that you give back to your community in some way. Don does things for the neighbor lady, I volunteer at church, etc. All of these things count but they don't keep track anyways. It's an honors system. The point is it's there for anyone to use and take advantage. If it helps save on groceries and allows you to put some extra money in savings then that's great, or allows you to pay extra money on a bill. So check out your community, see what is available for assistance and take advantage of it! That's what it's there for. :) God Bless and have a great weekend.
Your frugal friend.




No comments:
Post a Comment